On Thursday, 31 July 2014 at 18:58:11 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 7/31/2014 4:28 AM, David Bregman wrote:
Sigh. Of course you can assume the condition after a runtime check has been
inserted. You just showed that

assert(x); assume(x);

is semantically equivalent to
assert(x);

as long as the runtime check is not elided. (no -release)

No. I showed that you cannot have an assert without the assume. That makes them equivalent that direction.

That is only true if assert always generates a runtime check. i.e. it is not true for C/C++ assert (and so far, D assert) in release mode.

For the other direction, adding in a runtime check for an assume is going to be expected of an implementation.

No. It is expected that assume does /not/ have a runtime check. Assume is used to help the compiler optimize based on trusted facts, doing a runtime check could easily defeat the purpose of such micro optimizations.

And, in fact, since the runtime check won't change the semantics if the assume is correct, they are equivalent.

Right, only "if the assume is correct". So they aren't equivalent if it isn't correct.

Q.E.D. ?

But you still want to assert to become assume in release mode? How
will you handle the safety issue?

I don't know yet.

I would think the easiest way is to just not inject the assumption when inside @safe code, but I don't know anything about the compiler internals.

Even for @system code, I'm on the fence about whether asserts should affect codegen in release, it doesn't seem like a clear tradeoff to make: safety vs some dubious optimization gains. Do we really want to go down the same road as C with undefined behavior?

I would need to think about it more, but if D adopted that route, I would at least feel like I need to be much more careful with asserts, so I'm not accidentally making my code more buggy instead of less. I think it warrants discussion, anyways.