On 08/01/2014 05:17 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
On 7/31/2014 12:37 PM, Daniel Gibson wrote:
Am 31.07.2014 21:19, schrieb Walter Bright:
That's the way assert in C/C++ conventionally worked. But this is
changing. Bearophile's reference made it clear that Microsoft C++ 2013
has already changed, and I've seen discussions for doing the same with
gcc and clang.

This will break so much code :-/

Maybe you're right.

He is.

I've always thought that assert() was a simple and
obvious concept,

It is.

and am genuinely surprised at all the varied (and even
weird) interpretations of it expressed here.

Don't throw them all in one bag.

I've never heard such
things in my 30+ years of using assert().

I have seen some misuse of assert() before, but the author of them knew
he was misusing it and didn't have an issue with that.

I can't even get across the notion of what a program's inputs are. Sheesh.

You didn't try. You were obviously being misunderstood and just repeated the same wording.

Or perhaps some people are just being argumentative. I can't really
tell. I can tell, however, than many of these sub-threads have ceased to
contain any useful discussion.

Are you now trying to generalize over opinions that are not your own as wrong by only refuting some of them?

All the fallacious reasoning you have put forward in this thread is really tiring. Please don't ignore logic.