On 8/1/14, 8:28 AM, Timon Gehr wrote:
On 08/01/2014 01:53 PM, Don wrote:
If you are disabling your asserts, but still believe that they may fail,
that means you're expecting your program to enter undefined behaviour!

Nonsense. This claim is ignoring the current reality of software
development. One would be expecting one's program to be buggy, but one
would still think that _almost all_ assertions pass always and those
that don't would be expected to pass _almost always_. How many pieces of
non-trivial bug-free software did you write or _were required to work on
without full knowledge about the code base_?

In any case if one is _disabling_ one's asserts, one doesn't expect them
to have any kind of effect whether they may fail or not.

This doesn't ring true at all in the circles I frequent. I'm with Don.
-- Andrei

It wouldn't ring true in a circle where it is popular to deny one's own imperfection, or the imperfection of one's co-workers. Such an attitude is dangerous. It puts innocent people at risk.

What other circles does it not ring true in?