Am 04.08.2014 02:28, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu:
On 8/3/14, 3:35 PM, Daniel Gibson wrote:
Am 04.08.2014 00:15, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu:

That said, should we proceed carefully about realizing this advantage?
Of course; that's a given. But I think it's very important to fully
understand the advantages of gaining an edge over the competition.

Gaining an edge over the competition?

Yes, as I explained.

"A new DMD release broke my code in a totally unexpected way and people
tell me it's because I'm using assert() wrong.

This has been discussed several times, and I agree there's downside. All
I want to do is raise awareness of the upside, which is solid but
probably less obvious to some. There's no need to trot again in response
the downside that has been mentioned many times already.

Ok, so you agree that there's a downside and code (that you consider incorrect, but that most probably exists and works ok so far) will *silently* break (as in: the compiler won't tell you about it).
So when should this change be introduced? In 2.x or in D3?

I don't really like the idea of introducing a silently breaking change in a minor version - and it destroys the trust into future decisions for D.

Cheers,
Daniel