On Tuesday, 5 August 2014 at 16:35:42 UTC, Andrew Godfrey wrote:
out, but in general if the compiler keeps track of properties of things then it could start making algorithmic-level performance decisions that today we always have to make by hand. To me that's interesting.

I think the most "potent" source for optimization is getting expressive formalisms in place for allowing axioms and theorems to pass through foreign function calls.

That would allow you to call custom C functions/machine language in a loop with less penalties.