On Wednesday, 6 August 2014 at 00:47:28 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 8/3/2014 7:26 PM, Tove wrote:
It is possible, just not as a default enabled warning.

Some compilers offers optimization diagnostics which can be enabled by a switch, I'm quite fond of those as it's a much faster way to go through a list of compiler highlighted failed/successful optimizations rather than being forced to check the asm output after every new compiler version or minor code refactoring.

In my experience, it actually works fine in huge projects, even if there are false positives you can analyse what changes from the previous version as well
as ignoring modules which you know is not performance critical.

If you build dmd in debug mode, and then run it with -O --c, it will give you a list of all the data flow transformations it does.

But the list is a blizzard on non-trivial programs.
What about making a diff file? Or are the transformations so deep that it would be impossible to link them to lines in the source code?