On Thursday, 14 August 2014 at 18:07:57 UTC, bearophile wrote:
Meta:

Isn't that also the case for the auto*, const[], immutable[$], etc. syntax? Conceptually it feels the same to me as Kenji's enhancement; I don't know enough about the compiler to talk about it technically.

One difference between Kenji's enhancement and the AA type inference is that arr[$] length inference for arrays is useful in many situations and it helps avoid some bugs and make the code more DRY. So it's a different degree of usefulness.

Bye,
bearophile

Kenji also implemented functionality to allow all of the following:

auto[] ai = new int[](3);
const* ci = new int(1);
immutable[$] = [1, 2, 3];