bearophile wrote:
Walter Bright:

No, but it's not a technical issue, just more of no demand for it.
But this would not be a reason to use Scala, as one doesn't use
Scala for performance oriented programs.<

The usage of higher-order functions is pervasive in Scala, and they
use delegates. So optimiizing those delegates was quite high on the
priority list of optimization to perform. In functional-style
programming people use first-class functions all the time, so they
have to be optimized. That's why D2 may need to do the same if it
wants people to use functional-style programming :-)

There's quite a lot of D specific optimizations that are not done at the moment, simply because of other more pressing issues.

DMC++ does a good job of eliminating many virtual calls.<

I have not found much of such capability in DMD. If DMD too performs
that, then can you show me 1 example when it's performed? :-)

DMC++, not DMD. I haven't done the effort yet to do it in DMD.