On Tuesday, 26 August 2014 at 12:37:58 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
On Tuesday, 26 August 2014 at 10:55:20 UTC, Don wrote:
It was always in IEEE754. The decision in 754-2008 was simply to not remove it from the spec (a lot of people wanted to remove it). I don't think anything has changed.

It was implementation defined before. I think they specified the bit in 2008.

    fld uninitialized_var;
    fstp other_var;

This is not SSE, but I guess MOVSS does not create exceptions either.

No, it's more subtle. On the original x87, signalling NaNs are triggered for 64 bits loads, but not for 80 bit loads. You have to read the fine print to discover this. I don't think the behaviour was intentional.