On Wednesday, 27 August 2014 at 13:32:56 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
On Wednesday, 27 August 2014 at 09:27:03 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
That's justified, because SDL fails to not surprise. Curly brace syntaxes are not line-delimited not requires backslash line continuations.

Like JavaScript for example?

You mean its feature where it can work without semicolons? Yeah, that's a silly feature, but it's not forced on everyone. I have never hit it in my code.

The reason to search for an additional format is to make it more convenient and readable for human interaction. XML wouldn't structurally a bad choice, but is awful because of it's syntactical overhead.

Aren't people more concerned with writing XML rather than reading? Syntax makes for easier reading and tedious writing.
And overhead is not really big:
"menu": { "id": "file", "value": "File" }
<menu id="file" value="File"/>
It's even shorter!

Yes writing it is what I'm concerned about. If you like XML though, you're gonna love SDL:)

menu id="file" value="File"

It's even shorter again!

There's 1 to 1 mapping between SDL and XML, SDL just uses curly-braces and newlines instead of the <angle-brackets>.