Graham St Jack wrote:
I have been trying (again) to start using const and immutable objects in a project, and found I kept getting stuck with the need to change the value of object references, which isn't allowed. I don't quite follow the arguments that mean that this has to be the case, but I'm prepared to accept them.

After some experimenting with Andrei's Rebindable template, I still couldn't get past the problems. For a start, the get method is private so I couldn't test for null.

In the end I cooked up the following, which is a very simple workaround that just lets me assign to a const or immutable object reference. It works just fine, and can be used in templates like containers without forcing the container to care about what it is containing.

Comments?

[snip code]

Hi Graham,

Could you please post a short snippet (or a few) that illustrate the problems you ran into with Rebindable?

Thanks,