Op Wed, 02 Sep 2009 22:20:04 +0200 schreef Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org>:

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Simen Kjaeraas<simen.kja...@gmail.com> wrote:
Danny Wilson <blueze...@gmail.com> wrote:

Op Wed, 02 Sep 2009 21:39:28 +0200 schreef Andrei Alexandrescu
<seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org>:

I plan to add a Nullable struct to Phobos (akin to C#'s Nullable, Boost's
Optional).

Apparently a good design is to define Optional!T with a minimum of member
functions (ideally none) and have it use the "alias this" feature to
masquerade as a T. That way Optional!T looks and feels much like a T, except
that it supports a function

bool isNull(T)(Optional!T value);

Am I on the right track? If so, what is the name you'd prefer for this
artifact?

Andrei

How about:  Maybe!T

Got that from Haskell :-)
I also feel the bikeshed should be colored 'Maybe'.
 Thirded!

Great. Now, before we get all jolly about Maybe, let me point out that we also need the "ref" corresponding type. And OptionalRef and NullableRef may sound better to some than MaybeRef.

Andrei

So if pointers wouldn't be considered evil,  Maybe!T*  would suffice?

Can someone point me out what the big difference is between ref and simply disallowing pointer arithmitic? Is it marketing?