Don Wrote:

> Jeremie Pelletier wrote:
> > Well I've decided to get a look at the dmd2 source and see what I can
> > contribute to it, only to notice it is very VC++ unfriendly. After a
> > few hours of work, I finally got it to compile, and it works great,
> > for the most part.
> >
> > VC++ has no real support for long double; it supports the syntax as
> > distinct types but they are implemented as double precision, not
> > extended precision. There are no stdint.h and fenv.h headers, I found
> > isnan() in float.h but I had to leave out backend/strtold.c for now,
> > there was no unresolved references from this. alloca() was also found
> > in malloc.h, not stdlib.h. The joys of not using a C99 compliant
> > compiler heh. I also couldn't get the compiler to compile *.c as C++,
> > even with the /TP switch (Compile as C++), I had to rename every file
> > to *.cpp.
> >
> > Other than that, it was standard compilation, I disabled a few
> > warnings to not get my output flooded, defined MARS, __I86__ and _DH,
> > generated the different table files, and compiled, all from within
> > the IDE.
>
> What are the advantages of VC++? Just the browsing?

It has one of the most powerful IDEs I have seen so far, and its debugging
support is amazing. I also think its a good idea to make the dmd source
compilable on a few different compilers, it will allow a wider range of
developers to contribute to it in the long run.

> > Jumping back in C++ reminded me why I loved D so much, I will
> > definitely start working on, or help developing it if already
> > planned, a D port of dmd once the spec gets stable.
>
> Oh yeah. Looking at the source, I keep thinking, "this would be SO much
> easier in D!".
> Interestingly since DMD has extern(C++), it ought to be possible to
> convert a single module to D, and still link it in...
>
> > In any ways, I am wondering where I can submit my changes for review,
> > since I doubt there is any public access to the repository on
> > dsource, and I would very much like to contribute to the D
> > programming language.
>
> It'd be fantastic if you could help.
> I've just been submitting my patches to Bugzilla. Walter sends me his
> source from time to time. If you get active enough with patches we'll
> make a better arrangement. It's only yesterday that Walter made a commit
> to the repository for the first time, so at least he has it set up now <g>.
>
> I suggest that to start off, you look at the .stringof bugs. .stringof
> has a reputation as one of the most buggy features in the compiler, but
> I think it's only because of neglect rather than being particularly
> complicated.

Sure, I'll give it a look, I need to get familiar with the code structure
anyways :)