On Wednesday, 24 September 2014 at 15:07:05 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 9/24/14, 5:12 AM, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d wrote:

Is there plans to catching C++ exceptions in D?

I'd say no to such an idea.

I understand the difficulty of it. However, we should look into it closely. Preventing D code from catching C++ exceptions forces one to implement the driver/event loop/etc in C++, which is quite unpleasant. It essentially takes C++ compatibility a few good notches down.

If C++ code can execute D delegates, perhaps an intermediate step would be to create a wrapper in C++ that calls the delegate wrapped in an appropriate try/catch block. Syntax would be a bit weird as you'd have to specify a callback for each exception type you wanted to catch, but it seems doable.