Joakim:

I wonder why they found Haskell to be so slow, I thought it was compiled.

The first reason for the performance of programs is how much care the programmer has to write a fast program, secondly how good the chosen algorithms are, and only then at a third place there are language implementations.

So the short answer to your question is that most of the Haskell programs of Rosettacode are not written for performance. The corollary is that performance comparison is silly/bogus.

Often the faster programs of Rosettacode are in... guess a language? Yes, in D. Because I have written also performance conscious D entries (sometimes I have added various D solutions, at various levels of performance, succinctness, safety & correctness).

Bye,
bearophile