On 9/25/2014 2:47 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
Not a bad idea. If we do it right, we could (mostly) avoid user outrage.
E.g., start with a "soft deprecation" (a compile-time message, but not
an actual warning, to the effect that byCodeUnit / byCodePoint should be
used with strings from now on), then a warning, then an actual
deprecation, then remove autodecoding code from Phobos algorithms
(leaving only byCodePoint for those who still want autodecoding).

Consider this PR:

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/2423

which is blocked because several people do not agree with using byCodeunit.