On Saturday, 27 September 2014 at 22:11:39 UTC, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
I vaguely recall somebody mentioning a while back that range-based code is poorly optimized because compilers weren't designed to recognize such patterns before. I wonder if there are ways for the compiler to recognize range primitives and apply special optimizations to them.

I do find, though, that gdc -O3 generally tends to do a pretty good job of reducing range-based code to near-minimal assembly. Sadly, dmd is changing too fast for gdc releases to catch up with the latest and
greatest, so I haven't been using gdc very much recently. :-(

That was me, specifically for LLVM (I don't know much about GCC's innards). Hopefully, this is being worked (as it also impact C++'s stdlib).