On Monday, 29 September 2014 at 12:29:33 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
Any assumption that library code can go away with some set of pre-defined allocation strategies is crap. This whole discussion was about how important it is to move allocation decisions to user code (ranges are just one tool to achieve that, Don has been presenting examples of how we do that with plain arrays in DConf 2014 talk).

I think the key to this sort of issue is to try and get as much functionality in Phobos marked @nogc as possible. After that, building new library-like functionality into a DUB package that assumes @nogc and only uses the @nogc code in Phobos would be the next step. Should that get to a state where it's popular and supported, pulling it in as std.nogc.* might make sense, but trying to redo Phobos as a manual memory collection library is infeasible.

Were I your company, I'd start working on leading such an effort.

Unlike Tango, I don't think a development like this would split the community nor the community's resources in a useless fashion.