On 10/11/2014 3:42 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2014-10-11 00:52, Walter Bright wrote:

I like the C++ rule that says that access control is not considered for
name lookup. I know it makes for some annoying results, but the
simplicity of the rule makes it much more understandable.

I'm not so sure about that. Perhaps it makes it more understandable for a
language designer. But not for a user. You try to call a function but you get a
conflict with a private symbol. The user will get frustrated thinking: "stupid
compiler, of course I want to call the public function".

The theory is that simpler rules are better than complex rules, even if the simpler rules aren't always ideal.