On Thursday, 16 October 2014 at 22:20:34 UTC, Brad Anderson wrote:
On Thursday, 16 October 2014 at 19:46:42 UTC, Shucai wrote:
I am doing research on segmented stack mechanisms, and in addition to academic papers, I am surveying whether segmented stack mechanism is still useful on 64-bit machines. On 64 bit machines, why they don’t just use a big enough stack, for example, 1GB or even larger? Are segmented stacks only useful for 32 bit machines? Are there other reasons for segmented stacks on 64 bit machines?

Any response is appreciated, thanks, Shucai

You might want to try asking the Go and Rust mailing lists since they have a lot of experience with segmented stacks.

"Go 1.3 has changed the implementation of goroutine stacks away from the old, "segmented" model to a contiguous model. When a goroutine needs more stack than is available, its stack is transferred to a larger single block of memory. "
https://golang.org/doc/go1.3

So I guess both of them abandoned segmented stacks.