On Sunday, 26 October 2014 at 03:37:47 UTC, Maxime Chevalier-Boisvert wrote:

I also wanted to ask if there was an implementation of an object pool in the standard library. If not, I'm wondering what the best way to implement this is. Is there any way to overload new and destroy?

I'm not an authority on the subject, but I believe all you need to do is provide alternate implementations for _d_newclass[1] and destroy[2]. I experimented with this a little bit about a year ago, and it worked well for me. I modified druntime for my experiments, but there may be a way to link in your implementations instead of the defaults at link time, thus giving you an "override" effect.

I was thinking of using the templated emplace operator from std.conv to allocate class objects into a large flat array, and to derive pool-allocated classes from a PoolObject base class. This base class would contain linked list pointers to implement a free list, as well as templated static methods to allocate and free the objects. Any advice welcome.

If you haven't already, check out the Memory Management article on the D Wiki [3]. It's a nice article that was written some time ago by an unknown author and migrated to the wiki last year to help keep it maintained. I particularly like Explicit Class Allocation[4], Mark/Release[5], and Free Lists[6] as alternatives.

Mike

[1] - https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/blob/master/src/rt/lifetime.d#L60 [2] - https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/blob/master/src/object_.d#L2379
[3] - http://wiki.dlang.org/Memory_Management
[4] - http://wiki.dlang.org/Memory_Management#Explicit_Class_Instance_Allocation