On 18/10/2014 18:40, Walter Bright wrote:
As I've said before, tripping an assert by definition means the program
has entered an unknown state. I don't believe it is possible for any
language to make guarantees beyond that point.

The guarantees (if any), would not be made by the language, but by the programmer. The language cannot know if a program is totally broken and undefined when an assert fails, but a programmer can, for each particular assert, make some assumptions about which fault domains (like Sean put it) can be affected and which are not.

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros