On Thursday, 30 October 2014 at 18:54:00 UTC, Jonathan Marler
wrote:

Before we start ripping apart our existing APIs, can we show that the performance is really going to be so bad? I know virtual calls have a bad reputation, but I hate to make these choices absent real data.

For instance, D's underlying i/o system uses FILE *, which is about as virtual as you can get. So are you avoiding a virtual call to use a buffer to then pass to a virtual call later?

I think its debatable how useful this information would be but I've written a small D Program to try to explore the different performance statistics for various methods. I've uploaded the code to my server, feel free to download/modify/use.

Woops heres the link:
http://marler.info/dtostring.d