On Monday, 3 November 2014 at 11:50:57 UTC, thedeemon wrote:
On Sunday, 2 November 2014 at 10:36:13 UTC, Jonathan Barnard wrote:
On Sunday, 2 November 2014 at 10:30:21 UTC, Araq wrote:

And I think these are meaningless results. You can see here for instance what a write barrier can look like:

http://psy-lob-saw.blogspot.de/2014/10/the-jvm-write-barrier-card-marking.html

Btw, how are write barriers implemented in Go now?

Some information on the upcoming release notes.

http://tip.golang.org/doc/go1.4#impl

Would such an implementation also be possible in a language like Go or D with internal/'thin' pointers?

Yes, however the compiler needs to know all the places where your code mutates pointers. That means you can't use memcpy to copy some data with pointers into an old object or array. And you can't mutate pointers from C code.

Now it is officially forbidden to just give a Go pointer directly to a C function.

It needs to be given as an uintptr, if I am not mistaken.