On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 at 09:56:57 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 at 08:55:30 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 at 08:38:14 UTC, Ola Fosheim
In addition, the whole
CPU industry is backpedaling on the transactional memory concept. That is awesome on the paper, but it didn't worked.

Given the support on Haskell, Clojure and C++ I am not sure if they are really backpedaling on it.

The Haskell bugs are supposed to have been fixed in the next generation.

And there is PowerPC A2 as well.

Not that I have any use for it, though.

--
Paulo

I actually tested Haswell HLE and was underwhelmed (not the full STM, was just trying to get more out of some locks). The trouble with STM is that to be applicable, you need to have huge contention (else it wouldn't be a bottleneck) and a small task to do. And this use case is already well served with spinlock-guarded locks which already allows to stay in user space most of the time. That, added with the usual restrictions and gotchas for lockfree, makes it something not very life-changing at least in my limited experience.