On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 at 21:17:42 UTC, IgorStepanov wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 at 20:49:42 UTC, Marc Schütz wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 at 19:32:32 UTC, IgorStepanov wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 at 14:41:17 UTC, Marc Schütz wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 at 11:43:36 UTC, IgorStepanov wrote:
C++ and D provides different behaviour for operator overloading. D has a opIndex + opIndexAssign overloads, and if we want to map opIndex to operator[], we must to do something with opIndexAssign.

operator[] can be mapped to opIndex just fine, right? Only opIndexAssign wouldn't be accessible from C++ via an operator, but that's because the feature doesn't exist. We can still call it via its name opIndexAssign.

operator< and operator> can't be mapped to D. Same for operator&.

That's true. Maybe we can just live with pragma(mangle) for them, but use D's op... for all others?

Binary arithmetic operators can't be mapped to D, if them implemented as static functions:

Foo operator+(int a, Foo f); //unable to map it to D, because static module-level Foo opAdd(int, Foo) will not provide the same behaviour as operator+ in D. Thus: C++ and D overloaded operators should live in different worlds.

Can't we map both static and member operators to opBinary resp. opBinaryRight members in this case? How likely is it that both are defined on the C++ side, and if they are, how likely is it that they will behave differently?

opBinary(Right) is a template-functions. You can't add previous declaration for it to struct:

//C++
struct Foo
{
  Foo operator+(const Foo&);
};

Foo operator+(int, const Foo&);

//D
extern(C++)
struct struct Foo
{
  Foo opBinary!"+"(const ref Foo); //???

I see...

}

Foo opBinary!"+"(int, const ref Foo); //???

But this would of course be opBinaryRight, and inside struct Foo.

What if
Foo operator+(const Bar&, const Foo&);?
Is it Foo.opBinaryRight, or Bar.opBinary, or both?

For a C++ class interfaced from D: opBinary() in whichever of the two classes it is defined.

For a D class interfaced from C++: choose one, preferably opBinary(), as it's the "natural" one.