On Tuesday, 18 November 2014 at 18:55:43 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
Is it fair if I argue that fixing DWARF info generation is a
better solution then?

I don't know. Probably. Not all tools may read DWARF info. Also, I'm not sure if this is related but Phobos/Druntime are currently built without -g, although enabling it should be a much less controversial change.

I don't need to open the link to know the code you linked to.
Ever since I had weird seg faults when an exception was thrown
from my D callback in Gtk code I wondered when this code will
be updated. Consider that "no frame pointers" is the default
for GCC on amd64 and thus practically all libraries on Linux
can't be stack traced by druntime. It needs to use libunwind
in the long run when C++ interfacing becomes more viable and D
programmers start to expect exception handling and stack
traces to work as per system ABI. At least that's what I
believe.

That sounds reasonable. I guess it remains to be seen how much we can rely on libunwind (with regards to availability, stability and compatibility with DMD-emitted DWARF info).