On Saturday, 6 December 2014 at 07:56:48 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
On Saturday, 6 December 2014 at 01:53:03 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
On 6/12/2014 5:45 a.m., Dicebot wrote:
In my opinion OOP is very unfriendly for testing as a paradigm in general. The very necessity to create mocks is usually an alarm.

I really need to start saving quotes. This is definitely a keeper!

Except that in procedural code that option doesn't even exist, so no testing without going to the network.

Not really. In procedural code you don't have that much coupling between data and behaviour which makes creating "mocks" as easy as filling the struct instance fields and passing it as an argument.

However I was not speaking about plain procedural/imperative paradigm as better alternative but functional and generic ones. First one helps with eliminating state in general. Second one allows to use the very same mocks in much more light-weight way because no runtime binding is necessary - no dependency injection stuff and unnecessary interfaces, just using stub policy is enough.