On 12/15/14 12:10 AM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On 15 December 2014 at 07:19, Nick B via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
On Sunday, 14 December 2014 at 15:03:27 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:

Lastly, when judging all these things, please always try to remember that
almost all the work that goes into D (and vibe.d) is non-profit and everyone
usually only contributes what (s)he is missing. If I would get payed through
a support contract for my work on vibe.d, I could adjust my priorities to
suit the requirements of others more, but like this I still have to somehow
make sure to be able to pay my bills and can't just work full time to help
other (commercial) projects (although I always try to help as far as
possible).

Sonke, Can you advise how much a support contract for a individual or
company seriously interested in using vibe.d might cost ?

Good point, I think you should really put a price on commercial
support if you want it to be taken seriously.
There are lots of companies that wouldn't seriously consider it if it
DIDN'T cost them some money. If they don't pay any money, it doesn't
look legit or professional ;)

OH, it's not that AT ALL.

If I base my company, with real investors and people to be employed, on someone's code, and I cannot motivate the developers to support me with money, then I am in a shaky situation. It's not the lack of professionalism, it's the "I can't fix this, and I can't get the author to fix it, so we just have to sit on our thumbs until they do, or hire a team to figure out how to do it."

Note, this is not in relation to vibe.d, as we don't use it here, just a general view from someone who has used a "near-free" project and paid the developer to fix some issues/add features. The cost is so much lower than me figuring it out myself.

-Steve