On Friday, 11 October 2013 at 22:41:06 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
What's the reason Kenji's pull isn't merged yet? As I see it, it does not introduce any problematic areas, but streamlines multidimensional indexing notation in a nice way that fits in well with the rest of the
language. I, for one, would push for it to be merged.

In any case, I've seen your multidimensional array implementation before, and I think it would be a good thing to have it in Phobos. In fact, I've written my own as well, and IIRC one or two other people have
done the same. Clearly, the demand is there.

See also the thread about std.linalg; I think before we can even talk about having linear algebra code in Phobos, we need a solidly-designed rectangular array API. As I said in that other thread, matrix algebra really should be built on top of a solid rectangular array API, and not be yet another separate kind of type that's similar to, but incompatible
with rectangular arrays. A wrapper type can be used to make a
rectangular array behave in the linear algebra sense (i.e. matrix
product instead of per-element multiplication).

Hi.

I wondered how things were developing with the rectangular arrays (not sure who is in charge of reviewing, but I guess it is not HS Teoh). It would be interesting to see this being available for D, and I agree with others that it is one of the key foundation blocks one would need to see in place before many other useful libraries can be built on top.

Let me know if anything I can help with (although cannot promise to have time, I will try).

Laeeth.