On Thu, Jan 01, 2015 at 12:26:04AM +0200, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 14:19:00 -0800
> Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
>
> > On 12/31/2014 1:15 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > > Yeah no kidding. How do I hate make? Let me count the ways:
> >
> > Ironically, none of your points mention the macro system.
>
> that's 'cause 'make' doesn't need any. it's either enough to have
> envvars for simple tool, or you need a scripting language for complex
> extensible tool.

The macro system in make is so bad, it shouldn't need an explicit
mention to be obvious that it's bad. Besides, macros are where the
various flavors of make differ the most anyway, so anyone who wants
anything resembling a cross-platform makefile should only use the most
basic of macro functions and forego the actually-useful stuff.

Written on the window of a clothing store: No shirt, no shoes, no service.