On Monday, 12 January 2015 at 03:35:32 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
On Sunday, 11 January 2015 at 13:10:12 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
On Sunday, 11 January 2015 at 13:01:36 UTC, Gary Willoughby wrote:
Could D compete in a competition like this?

The guts will have to be done in assembly or Intel intrinsics...

Why do you say that. Seems like picking the correct data structure/algorithms would be of more importance than the programming language. I don't see why this couldn't be made 'fast' with just about any programming language.

1. It is a basic spatial indexing problem. This is a heavily researched GIS area.

2. They list the hardware.

But, they are cheating you: «All submissions will become public-domain DLLs.» + «prize money will be awarded to the three fastest solutions that are quicker than our fast solution.»

They are basically trying to get "master-level students" to do highly valuable work for "peanuts" in order to improve their own commercial systems... :-/