"Andrei Alexandrescu" wrote in message news:m9497d$1pv2$1...@digitalmars.com...

Over the time a number of stuff has become quite duplicated across our makefiles for dmd, druntime, and phobos.

These include fetching OS and model but (newer) general-purpose macros for e.g. rebasing repos, see https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/blob/master/posix.mak#L37.

I think it's time to reduce clutter and duplication by migrating such common stuff into one common.mak file. Question is, where should that file sit? One candidate is tools/ but it's not really a tool. Another candidate is dmd/src/ because that would be the first thing anyone depends on.

Ideas?

If it's optional extra stuff like git shortcuts, then removing it from the makefiles and putting it in tools makes sense. If it's mandatory stuff like OS detection, then it needs to stay where it is.

What's the actual problem you're trying to solve with this? IMO duplication is less of a problem than overcomplicating the makefiles.