On Wednesday, 14 January 2015 at 18:01:22 UTC, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
Recently in one of my projects I found that I can gain a huge
performance improvement just by calling GC.disable() at the beginning of the program and never calling GC.enable() again, but instead manually calling GC.collect() at strategic points in the code. Obviously, YMMV, but I managed to get a 40% performance improvement, which is pretty big
for such a relatively simple change.

Interesting that you need to disable to get the effect. That mean our heuristic for the GC collection to kick in sucks quite badly.