On Thursday, 15 January 2015 at 07:33:38 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2015-01-14 21:54, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

I hear you but The Internet says submodules are a kind of a bummer.

Most issues I have read about is because they don't know how submodules work. It's the same thing with most tools, if you don't know how to use it the experience is going to be crappy.

I'm hoping the submodules can be automatically update, i.e. on a push to some of the submodules. I'm expecting most work to be done in the submodules and the super repository will be kept in sync automatically.

We have been using git submodules for internal dependencies of Sociomantic projects for quite a while. It is not perfect but it works good if you defines terms of usage strict enough.

In this specific case I think it may work with help of few shell scripts that may reside in same top-level repo. Actually I do remember someone already trying that setup but can't find the links now. Anyone with better memory?