On Wednesday, 21 January 2015 at 08:19:39 UTC, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> i even knew how to quit vi
ctrl-c?
nope! it beeps. ;-)

Duh! Don't console programs know, what ctrl-c is for?

BTW, is there a way to make the shell autocomplete file names completely instead of partially?
huh? shell is completing file name to the first ambiguous char. if you have files with names "abdu" and "abde", it will autocomplete to "abd". just hit tab again to see the list of variants. as shell can't do
telepathy yet, you must help it by resolving ambiguity.

Windows console does it elegantly without telepathy: it rolls through the list of ambiguous names.

And in quotes
quotes are used for preventing autocompletion. ;-)

AFAIK quotes are supposed to treat a string with spaces as a single argument. I don't see, how this is related to autocompletion.

escaped paths are ugly.
just don't use paths that needs escaping. ;-)

OK, but that's a weak excuse for an ugly interface. In my experience quotes work just fine in place of escaping.

And autocomplete an empty string too whether it's after a slash or alone.
sorry, i can't understand you here.

I mean autocomplete without typing a single character. The system may have no way to type some characters, rolling autocompletion really helps in this case.

It was quite daunting to see a basic operation of getting a file name so quirky and ugly.