On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 17:12:11 +0100, FG wrote:

> On 2015-02-01 at 12:29, ketmar wrote:
>> the best thing, of course, is to kill that ancient toolchain altogether
>> and switch to binutils, they are already working for mingw and they are
>> free. and there is COFF writer already too. so only one little step is
>> needed: drop dmc and build dmd with mingw. and with dmc all it's tools
>> will go.
>>
>> besides, this will allow makefile unification, as alot of "posix.mak"
>> can be reused for mingw builds. i did that myself while hunting for
>> multithreading heisenbug. the side effect of switching to mingw was
>> faster dmd.exe: compiling phobos took only 2/3 of time comparing to dmc
>> version.
>
> What? How did you do that and what problems did you encounter?
> Does it work with regular DMD/Druntime/Phobos or only with Aliced[1]?
>
> [1] I only saw it mentioned once in the forum. What exactly is it?

i only built dmd.exe with mingw, i wasn't invested any efforts to make
dmd.exe itself work with binutils. but i believe that with "-m32mscoff"
switch making dmd.exe using "ld.exe" and other tools will be trivial, as
those using COFF object files. yet i'm not interested enough in windows
to work on that, and i will not write a single line of code without it
being preliminary approved by BOTH Walter and Andrei.