On Monday, 2 February 2015 at 08:09:39 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
In contrast, Dub's default modus operandi is to blindly send to the compiler all *.d files found in the "src" folder, whether they're actually used or not. Not only can this be slower if not all modules are always used, but it also won't work if the source code contains multiple entry points, forcing you to write complicated configuration files (i.e. do the computer's work for it).

To be more specific, dub won't let you compile a project with multiple definition of a function. How is that a liability ? Is rdmd able to build static and dynamic library ? If so, does it ignore files that are not imported anywhere ?

1b. rdmd and D's search path

rdmd does not have any additional parameters to set up for where it needs to look for source files, because it relies on the compiler's search mechanism. Thus, if you can build your program with rdmd, "dmd -o- program" will succeed, and usually vice versa.

In contrast, Dub builds its own search path using its JSON configuration files, and has no equivalent of "dmd -o-".

I don't see any downside here.

There is no simple way to syntax-check just one file in a project when using Dub. I rely on this a lot in my workflow - I configured a syntax-check key in my editor, which I use almost as often as I save. A syntax check (dmd -o-) is much faster than a full build, as it skips parsing other parts of the project, code generation, and linking.

What's your editor ? Mine complains on syntax error.
If you're using vi/emacs, then placing your editor in source/ (or starting dmd here) would do the trick.

2d. Git vs. Dub

Unfortunately, the above-described approach is not compatible with Dub:

- Dub packages are generally expected to have their source code in a "src" subdirectory, although you can set the source directory to "." in the configuration file.

- When cloning repositories, dub does not preserve the repository's directory name (so e.g. fruit will be cloned to ~/.dub/fruit-1.0.0/).

Somebody has created a Dub package for my library (excluding certain packages, due to point 1a above), and the other day someone complained that it doesn't work with Dscanner, because of the above issue - the module path "ae.dir.module" does not correspond to the filesystem path "ae-1.0.1/dir/module.d".

git clone http://github.com/You/repo otherName

breaks that workflow equally. Relying on the name under which your repo was cloned doesn't seem that robust.

So, in order to start using Dub, I'd need to:

- restructure the directory layout of my library (breaking change)
- update all projects which use this library to use Dub instead
- give up quick syntax checking
- give up commit-granularity versioning
- begin maintaining JSON configuration files
- begin versioning libraries by hand
- install Dub on all my computers, servers, and virtual machines

No thanks.

- But then your library is self contained and won't break if someone has another workflow that makes him clone your library under a different name.
- That's the point.
- Addressed;
- Semver allows you to do much more, as mentionned before;
- It isn't much of a maintainance. You rarely edit dub.json once the base is set. - dub rely on git tags for versioning. If you want to do *real* versioning (and not just "most up to date tag"), you'll still have to play with branches and submodules.
- Only your dev stations.

Change my view.

Hope I helped :)