On Tuesday, 10 February 2015 at 15:48:44 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
Yeah, welcome to the open source community. People work on what they *want* to work on, not what somebody else tells them they should work
on.  :-)

The corollary is, if you want people to work on X, you should make X attractive enough that people *want* to work on it. Inspiration tends to
work a lot better than command in a volunteer project.

I want to note that I am not totally against more controlled contributions - but that is totally different type of collaboration that implies much more formal process, as well as willingness to actually manage such team. There is a big mindset gap between "I did those things I needed and can share them" and "I am going to work on things you consider important", those are not interchangeable.