Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
I am becoming increasingly aware that we need to provide some means to define certain members (data and functions) for each class as if they were pasted there.

Most of the examples given would be well served by decent builtin reflection. Walter thinks reflection is too expensive to be active by default. Find a cheaper way to provide runtime reflection. It's not as sexy as using templates, but it's DRY and easier to use. Slower, but you don't pay the cost of reflection multiple times if you have multiple libraries requiring reflection.