BCS wrote:
For open source and libs, yes. For proprietary code bases, I'd say it's about a wash. Having it in another file could make the language/code base easier to read and also allow a much more powerful rules language (because it doesn't have to fit in the host language). And because only you will be maintaining the code, needing another tool (that you already have) and another build step isn't much of an issue.

Of course you can make third party tools work, but I think there is a lot of merit and psychological advantage to building it into the base language. For example, unit testing and document creation are usually 3rd party tools, but with D they are built in, and I think them being built in has been a huge success.