On 23 February 2015 at 03:13, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 2/22/15 8:36 AM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> On 22 February 2015 at 13:53, Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d
>> <digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Manu via Digitalmars-d"  wrote in message

>>> A big part of why it's unpopular is that nobody, including you, wants to
>>> implement it to see if it's viable.
>>

>> I have no idea where to start.
>

> Simple approaches to reference counting are accessible to any software
> engineer. The right starting point is "I used reference counting in this
> project, and here are my findings".
>
> A position such as the following makes the dialog very difficult:
>
> 1. One solution is deemed the only viable.

Propose how GC will ever be a success?
I honestly don't care, I just want a solution that's acceptable. I
tried to convince myself that GC would be fine for half a decade now,
but I've run out of patience.
I've been sitting around waiting for years for someone to say how GC
will ever be an acceptable solution. How long do I have to wait?

Evidence suggests, there IS only one viable solution. Granted, that's
not proven viable; it has barely been explored. (on account of
borderline religious opposition)
I can see why GC will never work in D, I can not see why ARC will never work.

> 2. Details and difficulties are unknown to the proposer.

I'm proposing that the *conversation* needs to be taken seriously.
Every time I've raised it in the past it's been immediately dismissed
and swiped off the table.

I'm not an expert on garbage collection, I have practically nothing to
add. I'm also not particularly interested in garbage collection (of
any form); I just want it to work.
But it doesn't take an expert to recognise that in 6 years, nobody has
presented any forward momentum on the GC front, no matter how
fantastical.
I can easily visualise a way forward with RC. There's plenty of room
for exploration. Sure it's not trivial, but maybe it's *possible*, as
it certainly seems that GC is not.

> 3. It must be implemented by others, not the proposer.

It must be discussed before we even think about implementing it.
And that is predicated by not being dismissed on impact.

> 4. It must be part of the language; any experimentation outside the language
> is considered an unnecessary waste of time.

RC performance in a lib depends a lot on scope overloads of
constructor/destructor/postblit to eliminate ref fiddling code.
Scope proposals were butchered. I'm disappointed with where that went.