On 3/2/15 10:38 PM, ketmar wrote:
On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:43:42 -0500, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

I think in this case, the compiler can probably statically reject the
code.

it can't, 'cause it doesn't know how the given object is going to be
allocated. i may completely skip GC and use my own allocator, which has
no troubles with threads, for example.

Classes are expected to be GC allocated. But the point is moot, because statically rejecting this does not guarantee abuse will not happen. And I don't think this restriction should be enshrined in the language anyway -- it's quite possible to write a GC that behaves correctly here.

-Steve