On Monday, 9 March 2015 at 10:47:06 UTC, Daniel Murphy wrote:
"Vladimir Panteleev" wrote in message news:njvvnodefqmrhzbux...@forum.dlang.org...

A machine-readable version is preferable because then Digger can consult it to know which pre-built DMD version to fetch.

Yes.  Any preference on the name?

Not really. There is the VERSION file, maybe something like that.

If we had somewhere a machine-readable list of all DMD releases with binaries for major platforms plus release dates, it could use that as well, and just use the latest stable release for the point in time which the source code to be built is from.

Can that be generated from the git tags?

It depends, do we have a stable URL structure for DMD downloads so that you can build a working download URL with only the platform and version?