On Sunday, 15 March 2015 at 10:12:09 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
On Sunday, 15 March 2015 at 10:03:15 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
Haven't we all got better things to do than argue about formatting styles? If I was a manager paying programmers $$$$, I do not want to pay them to argue about formatting, either.

But this is exactly the point! There is a team with already established coding style. Suddenly switching those because of upstream will create inevitable tension and decrease in efficiency until people adapt to new style and form new habits. And this will be investment with exactly 0 resulting benefit. Most likely pragmatical decision would be "stick to existing style and ignore dfmt existence". Or "fork that tool and add our style" if that is small effort.

It is also matter of expectation. Until now D was very un-opinionated language, probably even closer to language construction set. If this changes for one case, one may fear more similar decisions may follow.

Before this gets even more out of hand[0] I'd like to point out that handling the two different brace styles and spaces-vs-tabs is about 20 of the nearly 2000 lines of code in dfmt.

These two options have been related to maybe 3 of the 100 issues filed against the tool. It's just really not a big deal compared to the line wrapping and indentation matching that needs to be done regardless of which color the bike shed is.

[0] Remember when I said I was an idiot for starting this thread?