On Wednesday, 18 March 2015 at 18:09:07 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 3/18/2015 10:55 AM, Zach the Mystic wrote:
No responses yet -- not that I'm any less guilty than anyone else. But maybe this needs to be bumped up to a higher priority -- a hiatus on internal development for a couple weeks solely to bring documentation up to a minimum. Obviously clear guidelines like the ones you just posted are a plus.

We have a great language, but represent it poorly in the documentation. Every library entry also needs a pithy example (or even any example at all), but I thought we could make progress first by simply documenting what the return value is supposed to be.

We also need to stop pulling new library additions that have obviously inadequate documentation.

I'm just thinking in terms of psychology. I haven't seen anyone disagree that the documentation is inadequate, so that's not even disputed.

But why, therefore, is it so hard to get movement on it? I suspect that it's because it is perceived as a chore, like cleaning a barn. I don't want to go in that barn by myself. But if I everyone's doing it, with the mutual understanding that it needs to get done - and no one is exempt - then it doesn't feel so bad.

At some point, it must be possible for documentation to get so bad that *nothing* is more important. Otherwise, it may well continue to flounder in destitute obscurity, never receiving the attention it deserves.