Walter Bright wrote:

There's some overlap, but I think they serve entirely different purposes. D.announce is for any announcements of interest to D programmers, D.marketplace is for commercial things - products and services to buy and sell. Think of it like the 'classified' section of the newspaper.

Overlap is what causes categories to loose there importance. The categories should clearly draw the line in either definition, quantity of content, or both.

Currently we have "D" for all kinds of things:
D language.
Dmd compiler.
Ideas.
Blog posts.

Announcements has such low traffic that a split is not really necessary at the moment.

The newsgroups could possibly be restructured though for example:

D lang. (language spec & proposals)
D compilers. (dmd, gdc, ldc & others)
D dev tools. (debugger, ide & others)
D gui tool kit. (or maybe all non standard libraries?).
D bugs.
D annoucements.
D standard libs (old dtl + phobos & tango talk).
D OT (the kind of coffee lounge. must remain of interest to d programmers. for example: the sort of posts berophile finds on the development of other languages).

I don't know anything of the implementation of news groups. Is it at all easy to just move posts in the same way as can be done through a web message board forum?