On Monday, 30 March 2015 at 22:47:51 UTC, lobo wrote:
On Monday, 30 March 2015 at 22:39:51 UTC, lobo wrote:
On Sunday, 29 March 2015 at 23:14:31 UTC, Martin Krejcirik wrote:
It seems like every DMD release makes compilation slower. This time I see 10.8s vs 7.8s on my little project. I know this is generally least of concern, and D1's lighting-fast times are long gone, but since Walter often claims D's superior compilation speeds, maybe some profiling is in order ?

I'm finding memory usage the biggest problem for me. 3s speed increase is not nice but an increase of 500MB RAM usage with DMD 2.067 over 2.066 means I can no longer build one of my projects.

bye,
lobo

I should add that I am on a 32-bit machine with 4GB RAM. I just ran some tests measuring RAM usage:

DMD 2.067 ~4.2GB (fails here so not sure of the full amount required)
DMD 2.066 ~3.7GB (maximum)
DMD 2.065 ~3.1GB (maximum)

It was right on the edge with 2.066 anyway but this trend of more RAM usage seems to also be occurring with each DMD release.

bye,
lobo

As far as memory is concerned. How hard would it be to simply have DMD use a swap file? This would fix the out of memory issues and provide some safety(at least you can get your project to compile. Seems like it would be a relatively simple thing to add?