On Monday, 20 April 2015 at 16:47:53 UTC, Joakim wrote:
The C compiler isn't to compile dmd, but some C files that are necessary for druntime and phobos. btw, DDMD only translates the frontend to D, the dmd backend is still C++. Not that it matters, as we're only talking about what's necessary from Visual Studio, and you don't need Visual Studio to compile dmd for Win64.

If your alternate toolchain comes with its own C library, then it's much closer to a possible replacement. All you're missing is a C compiler that will compile to COFF64 then.

Oh, huh. For some reason I thought that DMD was doing its own
code generation and only needed a linker for putting it all
together. I didn't know that it needed another compiler to work.
It looks like I have more to learn about the D compiler.

The toolchain I am suggesting does include a C compiler that
works for both 32 and 64 bit MSCOFF, so it sounds like it could
be feasible, but whether it is worth it or not is a different
story.