dsimcha wrote:
I've been thinking about where a Rational struct could lead, and realized that
the next step is to give D some capabilities for dealing with symbols.  For
example, it would be nice to have something like:

auto foo = symRational!SomeBigInt("1 / e + pi / 2 + G");
// Do a whole bunch of manipulations on foo.

writeln(foo);  // Symbolic expression.
writeln(toReal(foo, constVal("G", 6e-11), constVal("pi", 3.14),
    constVal("e", 2.718));

Of course, now we're starting to talk about building a basic computer algebra
system into Phobos, or at least into some stand-alone lib.  While we clearly
don't have the manpower to do a "real" CAS, some basic CAS-like capabilities
would be nice.

What's CAS?